Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Happy Halloween Part 1!!!



Happy October!!  Happy Halloween!!  Happy Spooky Season!!  We’re doing things a little differently during October-  no days, just horror because in October, Horror doesn’t need special days.  Just watch something scary- definitely fictional and enjoy the scares.  We’re going to give you a few suggestions though.  This week’s suggestion is Martyrs.  Martyrs is absolutely amazing BUT I swore I’d never watch it again.  Martyrs is the most disturbing movie I have ever watched which is saying something.  I don’t know if it’s the incessant bleakness, the brutality, the sheer number of squirm inducing scenes or the way it all ties together into a symphony of sadness that, for me, is inescapable.  Take this as your warning- Martyrs may leave you a bit messed up.  


Questions

Jon- Fuck fuck fuck, why did you guys make me watch this again? Sandy- That’s on me. I remembered the very end from watching it years ago but couldn’t remember the rest of the movie and wanted to see it again, with opinions from you goons.

Alison- I am in no way responsible for this! This is entirely Sandy hahaha!

Jon- I cannot believe I’m watching this again.  Damn French Extremity.  Is there such a thing as common abuse? 

Sandy- Oh, there are alllllll different kinds of abuse, so I’m going with yes. Doesn’t mean it’s okay because it’s “common”, just that it happens more frequently amongst a wider variety of people than other kinds of abuse.

Alison-  It's when you sling insults at Common. Which I don't think you'd want to do. 

Jon- Martyrs is THE most disturbing movie I’ve ever seen and you guys are making me watch it again.  What’s the most disturbing movie you’ve ever seen? 

Sandy- I’m not totally sure what the most disturbing movie I’ve ever seen is, honestly. This one is close to the top if not at the very top though.

Alison- Definitely Old Boy. Definitely. 

Jon- It’s so fucking bleak.  The whole movie is just one downer after another.  Lucie needs some help right?  

Sandy- Bleak is exactly what I wrote in my notes also. I had to watch something funny and kind hearted afterwards so my soul didn’t die as I was sleeping. Lucie needs a LOT of help. But I can’t imagine ever being able to trust anyone ever ever ever again in my whole life after going through what she went through. The way they had that woman she had to leave behind haunt her as her own survivor’s guilt was absolute fucking genius.

Alison- Lucie needs a team of inpatient psychiatrists and an exorcism. 

Jon- Damn this movie.  More discomfort per minute than any movie ever.  Did you squirm when Anna was cleaning Lucie’s back wounds?  And that’s just the beginning of the squirmy uncomfortable moments. Sandy- I squirmed more when they happened, but yes, cleaning them was also a very squirmy moment.

Alison- That whole wound cleaning thing doesn't bother me, unsurprisingly. The squirming was with the wrist slitting for me. 

Jon- How about removing huge staples from someone’s head?  Disturbing enough? 

Sandy- OH MY GOD, that was so fucking insane and gross. This is a seriously graphic and upsetting movie. Incredibly well done, and totally horrific.

Alison- Nah I'm okay with that. The self harm gets me though.  Anna is an intense little human huh?

Sandy: Oh my god, seriously! Lucie too though. I’d be curious to know more about Anna’s backstory.

Jon- Everything in this movie is intense so Anna might as well be too.

Alison- So do we think this is a night terror ?

Sandy- They did such a good job keeping the viewer engaged while still somehow being in the dark about what was really going on with the story as a whole. 

Jon- Nope this is full scale, trauma induced, hallucinating.

Alison- Worst breakfast ever?

Sandy- What an intense scene that was! Just fucking brutal. And a wild ride emotionally, since you start out feeling badly for the family and slowly realize they deserved much much worse.

Jon- Nope.  The worst breakfast ever was on April 22nd 1983.  We don’t talk about the Corn Flakes incident.

Alison-How mentally ill is this girl? 

Sandy- If she were a dog at a shelter, they’d probably put her down. It’s so hard to watch, especially once you realize that her mental illness isn’t her fault. She was probably a normal little girl before they kept her hostage and abused her for who knows how long.

Jon- On a scale of one to batshit?  

Alison- What do you think the resale value of this house is ? 

Sandy- I mean… it’s got a lot of storage space.

Jon- It’s nothing a good clean up crew can’t fix.  Easily a million dollar home.

Alison- Wait … .a 115 pound girl dragged a full grown man into a death pit ? 

Sandy- Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

Jon- She’s a strong, crazy, independent woman.  She can move mountains.

Alison-How codependent are Anna and Lucie? 

Sandy- There is some serious codependency happening here, but I do understand it, after having seen the entire film. I feel so badly for Anna also. She tried so hard to be a good friend to Lucie, with wildly unwavering support, and her reward was being abused and ultimately skinned alive because some dumb old turban wearing white twat wanted to know if there was an afterlife so she could kill herself??

Jon- I don’t think she planned to kill herself.  I think whatever secret she was told was so significant, maybe so wonderful, that she had to experience it for herself immediately.

Alison- Do you get the sense that Lucie is a danger to herself and others ? 

Sandy: Lucie breaks my fucking heart. She is absolutely a danger to herself and to specific others. But it’s because of the horrifying abuse she went through. She would have needed a very very very long recovery period, where she was in a completely safe space with completely safe and patient people. 

Jon- She’s not a danger to others unless they’re the ones who harmed her.  

Alison- Were you surprised when Anna found the basement ? 

Sandy: I was, but I was maybe more surprised that she went down there to explore it by herself like that.

Jon- Nope.

Alison- Are you a different person after seeing this movie ? 

Sandy: I don’t think I’m a different person, but the thoughts and emotions that swirl around in my head were definitely affected by watching and experiencing this movie. 

Jon- Different?  No.  Disturbed?  Fucking absolutely.

Sandy- What’s creepier than an abandoned pediatric hospital?

Alison-Very few things. Abandoned psychiatric hospital is second to that .

Jon- An abandoned morgue.

Sandy- Why does it always feel like nothing can get us if we’re totally under the covers??

Alison- Out of sight out of mind ? I don't know, I can guarantee no supernatural being has gotten me yet. 

Jon- I never felt that otherwise I would have watched Martyrs buried in a blanket.

Sandy- Low water pressure in the shower because of a dead mouse in the pipe? So you showered in dead mouse water? Were you also drinking the tap water? Did anyone else fixate on this as intensely as I did and still am?

Alison- Ugh it's like the Hotel Cecil when that poor woman died in the water tank and all the water ran black and smelled of death for everyone else. 

Jon- You didn’t know the government adds dead mice to all our drinking water the same way they add fluorine?  I thought that was common knowledge.

Sandy-THAT FUCKING BACK SLICING SCENE THOUGH. Did you squirm around like I did as it was happening? AND THE FUCKING SCENE WITH THE KNIFE AND HER ARM STICKING OUT OF THE CLOSET, WHYYYYYY??????

Alison- So much squirming for me, but mainly the self harm. 

Jon- Why?????  You chose this!!  You did this to me!!!!!  FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!

Sandy- WOULD YOU GUYS DRAG THE BODIES OF THE ENTIRE FAMILY I’D KILLED OUT TO A PIT IN THE RAIN WHILE I SLEPT IN THEIR BEDS?

Alison- I would do that for you, Sandy. 

Jon- Not while you sleep.  Your ass made the mess.  You can stay awake and help drag bodies to the pit.


Lessons

  1. Seriously, heed the warning.  If you are easily disturbed, don't do this to yourself.

  2. Help a friend drag the bodies of the people they killed but don’t do it all yourself.  People need to learn accountability.  

  3. If you watch Martyrs, have a palate cleanser movie picked out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merry Christmas Part 4!!

  As we prepare to ring in a new year, we have one final Christmas movie.  In Christmas Evil , Harry Stadling is obsessed with Christmas and...